Happy Friday Fava Friends!
Here is a great and easy way for you to enjoy cooked fava beans. After the beans are cooked just add: 1 teaspoon olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, salt & freshly ground black pepper for taste and you have yourself a yummy, delicious and nutritious Friday night snack!
- Remove any shrivelled or broken beans.
- Rinse the beans under cold running water.
- Soak your beans. To soak overnight, add 3 cups (750 mL) of cool water for every 1 cup (250 mL) of dry beans, making sure beans are covered completely, and soak for 8–24 hours. For a quick soak, place 1 cup (250 mL) of beans in a large pot with 3 cups (750 mL) of water, bring to a boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain soaking water and rinse beans in cool water.
- Combine soaked beans and water, bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 60 to 90 minutes or until beans reach desired tenderness.
- When ready, drain any excess liquid and gently rinse.
- For every 1 cup (250 mL) of beans, use 3 cups (750 mL) of water.
- Bean cooking time varies by type. When a bean is fully cooked, the skin is still intact but the bean can easily be smashed between two fingers.
- Pre-soak beans, then boil for 10–12 minutes in fresh water before adding to your slow cooker.
- During hot weather, soak beans in the refrigerator to prevent fermentation.
For more great recipes check out Alberta Pulse Growers!